Also known as blood poisoning, septicemia in the elderly is a serious infection that can negatively affect overall health. In contrast to the name, there is nothing poisonous about this infection, except that in fact it is very harmful. It should be medically diagnosed and treated in time to prevent complications. It is important to understand the causes of septicemia in the elderly, its symptoms and treatment.
Septicemia in the elderly is considered poisonous due to life-threatening complications that can lead to it. The occurrence of these cases has increased in recent times. Septicemia in the elderly is also known as sepsis with some specific causes and symptoms.
Septicemia in the elderly is a medical condition that can be resolved if properly diagnosed and treated on time. If not, it can be potentially dangerous due to its possible complications. In this condition, the blood is affected by bacteria, which is also known as bacteremia. Knowing the causes and symptoms of septicemia in the elderly can help to seek timely medical treatment.
Septicemia in the elderly is a highly toxic condition in which the body’s immunity is affected and overloaded to combat any kind of infection. A large number of chemicals are released into the body, which can lead to inflammation, which can further complicate and result in organ failure. Organ damage resulting from septicemia can be treated with the help of available medications and treatments.
What are the causes of septicemia in the elderly?
Causes of septicemia in the elderly are many and some of them along with the associated risk factors are as given below.
- Poor immunity can make you prone to infections like septicemia.
- Those who suffered major burns.
- Those who suffer from some critical illness.
- People who are very young or very old usually suffer from this septicemia disease.
- People who are using devices such as breathing tubes and catheters.
- Due to infection, many diseases can be caused.
- Depression and severe trauma.
The main causes of septicemia in the elderly is the possibility of infection and sepsis. This also leads to blood poisoning which can become much more problematic and will result in some illnesses that can make you suffer for a long time.
People with high sugar in their body may be at higher risk for sepsis, also due to delayed healing. Therefore, people with diabetes, healing disorders and circulatory problems need to be more careful.
What are the symptoms of septicemia in the elderly?
Some of the most common symptoms of septicemia in the elderly include the following.
- You may feel feverish and may suffer from a high temperature.
- Your heart rate will be higher than normal.
- The respiration rate will also be greater than 20 breaths per minute.
- Heart infection is about to occur.
- When a person is suffering from severe sepsis, the following symptoms may be sustained:
- You may experience breathing problems.
- Change in mental and thinking ability.
- The skin will be discolored.
- You will have a growing tendency to urinate.
- Blood cell number will also decrease in the body.
- It becomes extremely weak.
- Fainting becomes a common thing.
- Chills of fever.
A septicemia em idosos pode ser um problema maior em caso de pressão arterial baixa, o que pode resultar em choque séptico. Considerando os fatores de risco e as causas de septicemia em idosos, a história da pessoa precisa ser bem compreendida. Como a sepse é frequentemente um resultado de infecção, lesão ou uma condição subjacente, os sintomas de septicemia em idosos podem girar em torno desses problemas. Sintomas de níveis persistentes de açúcar elevado no sangue, feridas que não cicatrizam, lesões na pele, úlceras ou infecções de qualquer tipo, que não são diagnosticados ou tratados a tempo, devem ser levados em consideração.
Qual é o tratamento da septicemia em idosos?
Tratamentos de septicemia estão disponíveis, que podem efetivamente tratar a condição com medicamentos podem provar ter um efeito duradouro sobre sua saúde geral. Portanto, é necessário consultar seu médico sem demora. Além disso, em certas queixas, pode ser necessário atendimento médico imediato para evitar danos permanentes.
Septicemia é diagnosticada através de exame de urina e raios-x, e os tratamentos são os seguintes:
- Usando antibióticos.
- Medicamentos anti-inflamatórios e analgésicos.
- Injeção de esteróides para reduzir a inflamação em seu corpo.
- Injeções de insulina para estabilizar o nível de açúcar no sangue.
- Medicação para aumentar a pressão sanguínea.
- Medicamentos para melhorar a imunidade.
Treatment aims to control the symptoms of septicemia in the elderly and prevent complications. In addition to medical treatment and depending on the severity of symptoms, advanced treatments may be considered. Treatment may be necessary to prevent organ damage, prevent bleeding and clotting within the body. In some cases, surgical treatment may be required.
Seeking timely medical advice can help protect organs and ensure better recovery. Considering the aging process in the elderly, medications and lifestyle changes should be followed according to the medical advice provided.